Wednesday 17 September 2014

Lunchtime at the Zuidas

two women talking
The Zuidas is a pretty new office area in South Amsterdam with lots of high rises. It is an area that combines urban living with working. The VU University, where I work, is right around the corner from there and every now and then I go over there during my lunch break.
people on a bench
row of people on a bench
I don't particularly like the area, it's very much a concrete city and there are not a lot of trees and plants around. In winter the high rises cause a lot of wind so you are lucky if you are not blown away.
guy having a chat
guy having a chat
During a hot summer the sun is blazing upon the asphalt and there is hardly any fresh oxygen, not a good place for me to be. 
two women walking
two women walking
But in the heydays of this summer when it is still pleasantly warm it is a curious place with lots of people enjoying their lunch hour outside, either alone or in company of colleagues or guests.
single man on bench
single man on a bench
The past couple of weeks I have been in the company of Miksang friends a few times and we've have been talking about photographing people and how to go about that. I took the opportunity today to take a few snapshots to see how that worked for me.
single man playing with cell phone
single man playing with his cell phone
Well, first of all I am too shy to stand right in front of somebody and to take a photo of that person, I feel I can do that in the company of family and friends but not with complete strangers.
man smoking a cigarette
man smoking a cigarette
Photographing people from behind or from the side is obviously a safe strategy and I used that a lot today, just to get me familiarized with this kind of photography.
lovely redhead
lovely redhead
What also helped me is sitting down on a bench like I did when I took the picture below. I just sat there for a while and let people walk or bike me by.
shadow of two people
shadow of two people
single woman with lunch
single woman with her lunch
People who are busy doing something else are also pretty easy to shoot as they have their mind and concentration on something else. People talking in a cell phone are even easier than that as they are focused to listening to someone who is not even in the visual area.
three women conversing
three women conversing
two girls on bicycle
two girls on a bicycle
two women waiting around
two women waiting around
four seated people
four people sitting down

I am sure these are not great eye openers for you, but I would just like to share my experience with you. Maybe in the future I become more comfortable with looking at and photographing people. I realize it mostly has to do with my own thoughts and feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...