Tuesday 30 June 2015

Waiting at the waterfront

orange dinghy and its reflection
orange dinghy and its reflection
Last Saturday I went out with a friend for dinner. I was a bit early and waited for him on a small bridge over one of the numerous canals of Amsterdam. It was a bit out of the city centre so it was not a very old or quaint environment, but there still was plenty to see.
reflection in water
reflection in water
I let my gaze wonder across the water and the waterfront and all the colours and reflections made me look longer and feel quieter inside or was it the other way around?
yellow marsh-marigold
yellow marsh-marigold
Anyway, I felt my mind resting on what I was seeing, enjoying the moment and appreciating the everyday magic of it all.
yellow reflection in water
yellow reflection in water
During dinner I showed my friend the photos, proof so to speak of what I had seen and he was surprised at what I had noticed. He said that most people would just walk past it and that is exactly what contemplative photography is about: about slowing down, opening my eyes and being available at what is there right in front of me. It's a moment of mindfulness.
flowers on the bridge
colourful flowers on the bridge

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...